Respond to the Video
- “There is a God-shaped vacuum in the heart of every man, which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus” (Blaise Pascal). What is your reaction to this quote?
- Do you believe God exists? If so, why? If not, why not?
- What delights or intrigues you most about the nature of God? What puzzles you most about him?
- Do you know anyone who struggles to believe in God? What could you say or do that might help them take a step closer to faith?
Respond to God’s Word
- Dave Faust suggests three reasons to believe God truly exists:
- The universe requires a Creator (Genesis 1:1; Psalm 19:1; Romans 1:18-20; Hebrews 11:3)
- Life requires a Designer (Psalm 139:13, 14)
- The Bible requires a Revealer (Deuteronomy 29:29; Ephesians 3:2-5)
Which of these points do you think is most likely to help convince a skeptic about the reality of God? What reasons to believe in God would you add to this list?
- In Matthew 28:19, Jesus says his disciples are to be baptized in the “name” (singular) of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. How does this verse impact our understanding of the trinity?
- First Peter 1:21 says, “Through him [Jesus Christ] you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified him, and so your faith and hope are in God.” How do the life, teachings, and miracles of Jesus affect your faith in God?
- Jesus said, “Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father” (John 14:9). How does knowing Jesus shape the way we think about God? What are some facts we know about God that we wouldn’t understand if Jesus had never come to earth?