Respond to the Video
- Think of all that Jesus endured in the Garden of Gethsemane and during his arrest, trial, and crucifixion. Which aspect of his suffering (physical, emotional, and spiritual) impacts you the most? Why?
- In your own words, how would you explain why Jesus died on the cross? What does Peter tell us about the meaning of Jesus’ death in 1 Peter 2:24, 25 and 1 Peter 3:18?
- Consider Jesus’ interaction with Thomas (John 20:24-31). Do you believe Jesus actually rose from the dead? If so, what evidence convinces you the resurrection is a fact? If not, what evidence would it take to convince you it really happened?
- Some churches are growing today, but why do you think so many people are turning away from the church and ignoring the Bible? As followers of Christ, what is our responsibility to reverse this trend? What is YOUR part in growing Christ’s church?
Respond to God’s Word
- The apostle Paul recounts what Jesus said at the Last Supper and applies it to the church in 1 Corinthians 11:23-26 (compare Matthew 26:26-30). What does the Lord’s Supper (Communion) mean to you?
- Read the account of Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane (Luke 22:39-46). How can this Scripture text help us when we face suffering ourselves?
- Why are the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ so crucial to the Christian faith? See Jesus’ words in Mark 8:31-38 and Luke 24:46, 47, and Paul’s comments in 1 Corinthians 15:1-20. What do these Scriptures tell you about Jesus’ resurrection and the evidence that supports it?
- What have you learned from this 8-part video study about the basics of the Christian faith? Can you think of a group or a person who might appreciate seeing these videos and discussing them with you?