Respond to the Video
- Do you believe the Bible is relevant to your personal life? If so, how have you found it timely and practical? If not, why not?
- Do you find the Bible easy or difficult to understand? What could help you understand the Bible’s message more clearly?
- “A translation of the Bible that speaks my language.”
- “A knowledgeable teacher who can explain confusing passages.”
- “Greater unity among Christians who read the same book but come to different conclusions.”
- In the video Dave Faust explains that the authors of the Bible were inspired and aided by the Holy Spirit so they had “enhanced memory” to recall what Jesus said (John 14:26); they made “judicious selection” of the many events of Jesus’ life (John 20:30, 31); and they were given “direct revelation” from God.
- What questions do you have about these points?
- How do these ideas impact the way you view the authors of Scripture?
Respond to God’s Word
- Read 2 Timothy 3:16, 17, and 2 Peter 1:20, 21. What do these verses tell you about the Bible?
- Read Luke 24:44-47. What does this text tell you about the overall theme and purpose of the Bible? Why is it so important to see Christ himself as the central character of the Scriptures?
- Read Psalm 19. According to verses 1-2, God speaks through his creation (“the heavens declare the glory of God”). According to verses 7-11, God speaks through his “law, precepts, and commands.” How do you personally recognize the voice of God?
- To close this session, use Psalm 19:14 as a personal prayer.